Cold, Cold, go away. Come again another day. Wait! No, don’t come another day. In fact, let’s get rid of this cold as quickly as possible!
Colds interfere with your everyday life, so try these tips to help shorten the duration of the dreaded cold. You’ve likely heard a few of the suggestions, below, but it’s always great to remind yourself or a loved one, when a cold strikes your home. Good luck and get well soon!
8 tips to help you fight a cold:
- Drink warm liquids like green tea – Drinking something warm can help your throat feel better. There’s just something soothing about a warm cup of tea with lemon or a dash of cinnamon, soft slippers and a warm bath.
- Blow your nose – Help your body get the yucky stuff out of your system as quickly and easily as you can. The minute the cold symptoms appear, don’t let the Kleenex box leave your side. Get the germs out that your body is rejecting!
- Give yourself a blast of Vitamin C – This is a good option before the onset of the cold and through the duration. Some researchers say that Vitamin C, alone, can help shorten the duration of a cold.* Give it a try!
- Don’t skip your daily multivitamin – This is a no-no any day, but especially when a cold is knocking on the door.
- Sit in a steam room or take a hot shower – Steam will help relieve pressure on your chest and help you relax. It also loosens up nasal passages and sinus pressure. Be sure that the water is not too hot.
- Stay hydrated – Cold season is not the time to start skipping your eight glasses of water per day. Drink a lot of water.
- Get plenty of sleep – Lack of sleep can further compromise your already hard-working, bacteria-fighting body. Give your body as much rest as you can to help beat the cold as quickly as possible.
- Raise your head when you sleep – This allows for sinus drainage. Sleeping flat can make it harder to breathe. Try adding an extra pillow under your head.